Travis Pastrana Bristol Preview
K&N Pro Series East
Bristol Motor Speedway
CORNELIUS, N.C. — Travis Pastrana will make his long-awaited return to the NASCAR circuit Saturday night in the K&N Pro Series East season-opener at Bristol Motor Speedway.
The 11-time X Games gold medalist expected to make his Nationwide debut last season at the July 30 race in Indianapolis. However, two nights before the race, Pastrana attempted the “TP Roll” which is a 720 on a motorcycle during the Best Trick Competition during the X Games. The landing didn’t go as planned and Pastrana shattered his right ankle and foot. The injury and surgeries forced the 28-year-old driver to miss his entire 2011 Nationwide schedule.
The Maryland native’s Nationwide debut is now set for April 27 at Richmond. Pastrana plans to run seven Nationwide Series races as well as 11 K&N Pro Series races in 2012.
Pastrana Nationwide Schedule
Richmond - April 27
Darlington - May 11
Charlotte - May 26
New Hampshire - July 14
Chicagoland - July 22
Indianapolis - July 28
Atlanta - Sept. 1
Pastrana K&N Schedule
Bristol - March 17
Greenville- Pickens - March 31
Richmond - April 26
Iowa - May 19
Bowman Gray - June 2
Langley - June 23
Iowa - Aug. 3
Greenville-Pickens - Sept. 3
New Hampshire - Sept. 22
Dover - Sept. 28
Rockingham - Nov. 3
ON ANKLE: “This has been the longest recovery time I have ever had for an injury. I figured it was just an ankle so it didn’t seem like that big of a deal. However, once I got into surgery they realized they couldn’t hook any of the small bones in the foot to anything else. I had 40 fractures in there. It’s taken a while but it’s kind of fusing together nicely now. I am 100 percent ready to get back in the race car. I have a little limp but that won’t affect my driving.”
ON BRISTOL: “Oh man, this place is just spectacular. I’ve seen it on TV but that doesn’t give you the real feel. The banking itself is hard to believe but it’s the way the seats are, so many of them all around the stadium. It’s just awesome. It really is like a modern-day Colosseum where gladiators fight. I’m not used to the banking … it’s a little like a vertical ramp. It’s going to be a challenge. This is a tough place for my first race this year, but I can’t wait to get back here for the race.”
NOTES OF INTEREST
• New Name: Pastrana will race under the Pastrana199 Racing banner in 2012. The team will have a technical alliance with Michael Waltrip Racing supplying personnel and equipment. Boost Mobile will sponsor each of the seven Nationwide races while iRacing.com will serve as the primary sponsor in four K&N races.
• Pit Box: Longtime crew chief Mike Greci will serve as Pastrana’s crew chief this season.
• Testing: Pastrana tested the K&N Pro Series East Toyota at BMS on Feb. 27th.
• Driving Coach: Longtime NASCAR Camping World Truck Series driver Matt Crafton will be at Bristol as a tutor for Pastrana.
• Introducing Mr. and Mrs. Pastrana: On Oct. 29, 2011 Travis married his longtime girlfriend Lyn-z Adams Hawkins on the outskirts of San Diego, Calif. Mrs. Pastrana is a seven-time X Games medalist (3 gold, 3 silver and 1 bronze).
• Travis Pastrana Statistics: Click Here